Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Every Little Bit of Motivation Counts!

In 2012 I made a commitment to start living a healthier life. Since then I have lost 30 lbs, changed the way I eat and my overall lifestyle. The amazing part is that I am still changing! My husband has seen this commitment and recently made life a lot more simple by surprising me with two amazing gifts. The first was our very own elliptical machine. No excuses! The second was given to me this past Monday and it was a Fitbit Flex band.

Have you seen these?

fitbit flex
I immediately began searching for reviews and information on what others thought of this product. What I discovered was that for the most part people LOVE it! Overall it seems to be the perfect "motivator" for the person like myself that is making small yet significant changes in their lifestyle. 

What I like is that it it can sync to my laptop, android phone and my Ipad. When on my phone or Ipad the screen display looks like this:


During initial setup I entered my current weight along with fitness goals and selected a plan according to the level at which I wanted to work at. The program then set up the amount of calories that I need to intake each days as well as burn. With ease I can enter my water intake throughout the day and food that is consumed. In addition to loving the application itself the device is comfortable and water resistant. 

When on my laptop, the Fitbit Dashboard is a little more detailed. It offers the ability to view graphs and average results in various categories. Additional resources include the ability to keep a daily journal and log heart rate, blood pressure and glucose readings. It all depends on how specific and detailed you choose to be. The battery life from what I researched is around 5 days. I am currently on day 4 and my battery life is just at the halfway mark. 

I personally have not found a downside but could see the potential for someone much more active or who is an athlete.  They may find this device to be more work and less motivating. This product could give false readings by misunderstanding your high activity for actually steps you are taking. You can override that by logging into your app and adjusting your current activity, but you would need to realize this takes away from the simplicity and easiness of the product. If you don't mind this task then it would not be an issue. 

I will leave you with this tip. Whenever I use a new product or start a new endeavor I find that motivation comes from seeking out others of like mind. So to achieve that goal with my fitbit flex, I made my way over to the official Fitbit blog site and subscribed to their feed. They have a ton of interesting tips, motivating challenges and statistics to keep you and your fitbit working together. 

My overall opinion thus far of the product is that it lives by it's product name in that every little bit does motivate and make a difference in living a fit lifestyle! What are you doing to keep yourself motivated? 

1 comment:

  1. I like the bit about finding others of a like mind and it's one of the main reasons I've stayed with Fitbit: the community. Sorry to read that you lost your Flex (my current device). Was a little surprised when they reached out to you. Were they able to help?

    ReplyDelete