Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

When The Going Gets Tough!

We have heard the expression "When the going gets tough the tough get going!". No matter hard we try to maintain a good attitude and keep a smile on our face, inevitably life will hit us with unexpected circumstances that will shake our norm and challenge our desire to remain a positive and happy individual. 

So what do we do?  There's a famous quote that I have found often puts these life moments into perspective.  


What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


When things get tough, and often they will, putting them into perspective against who we know we are as individual is a crucial factor in determination to make it through the tough times. Recently I found myself in this situation.  Life in general you may say. Heavy school schedules, running my own business while balancing a shortage of staff, all in addition to life's everyday task and responsibilities.  To top it off my daughter who has Type 1 Diabetes became ill for an entire week only complicating matters worse.  Above all other responsibilities, she became my number one priority at his point. 

Have you found yourself in situations similar before? Do you ever feel like your days are not long enough and the weeks are dragging on before you get some down time? 
It is as this moment that we must search deep within us and remind ourselves that we are not our current situation and we are not here forever.  

I've found a few things that keep my motivation and happiness along the way.


1. Surround yourself with positive people. 


Do this through the right family, friends and co-workers. But, go beyond that. Follow positive and encouraging pages and groups through various social media outlets. Here are a few of my favorites:


2. Keep a symbol close to you that will be a constant reminder of who you are outside of your circumstances. 



For me this is a necklace that I created recently. It says it all and I wear it almost everyday!


3. No matter how  long the day is, take a few minutes to wind down, take a day off, put everything down and remember you can only do so much in one day. You can only have so much control over a situation. 



These are my 3 little power tools that keep me going. What would you add to the list? 



No comments:

Post a Comment